Nutrition: Limit foods of animal origin and industrial production. Give preference to fruits, vegetables, whole cereals and legumes, better if fresh, from your local area, seasonal and cultivated in a biological way.
The food must be healthy, varied and moderate, following the general guidelines of the so-called “Food Pyramid”, which involves less use of natural resources and less pollution (“Ecological Footprint”). A vegetarian change would not only reduce the overall mortality of 6-10%, but would be able to act on climate change with a decrease of 25% of CO2. The citizen, as a responsible consumer, must be aware of the fact that the agro-food supply chain, in all its phases, from production to distribution to consumption, is responsible for important consequences also at the social level (from food sophistication to exploitation of laborers, from intensive monocultures to drought in large areas of our planet).
1. Bøhn T. et al. Compositional differences in soybeans on the market: Glyphosate accumulates in Roundup Ready GM soybeans Food Chemistry Vol. 153, 15 June 2014, Pages 207-215
2. Ceccarelli S. https://www.independentsciencenews.org/health/stuffed-or-starved-evolutionary-plant-breeding-might-have-the-answer/June 11, 2018
3.McDermott C: Essential fruit, vegetables, and lists for health BMJ 2014; 349 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g4906 (Published 31 July 2014)
4. Position Paper Pesticidi, Pratiche Agricole, Ambiente e Salute http://www.isde.it/unaltra-agricoltura-e-possibile-il-position-paper-di-isde-italia/
5. Resistenza agli erbicidi e colture OGM I problemi legati al glifosato https://www.greenpeace.org/italy/Global/italy/report/2011/ogm/Report_glifosato.pdf
6. Shulze MB et al.: Food based dietary patterns and chronic disease prevention. BMJ 2018; 361: k2396.doi: 10.1136/bmj.k2396
7. Springmann M et al. Analysis and valuation of the health and climate change cobenefits of dietary change. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Apr 12;113(15):4146-51. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1523119113. Epub 2016 Mar 21.
Attention. Please note that these items are provided only for information and are not intended as a substitute for consultation with a clinician. Patients with any specific questions about the items on this list or their individual situation should consult their clinician.