Do not focus on illness: don’t forget primary prevention and health empowerment.
Health is substantially influenced by both the physical and social environment in which we reside, as well as the lifestyle choices we adopt. The General Practitioner maintains a privileged patient relationship, providing lifelong care. Each interaction thus presents an opportunity to assist the patient in adopting healthy lifestyle habits, both for their own well-being and for the environment. Such habits encompass aspects such as embracing a predominantly vegetarian diet, engaging in moderate physical activity, and cultivating a stronger connection with the natural world. It is advisable to engage in discourse with the public, furnish informative materials within the medical practice, and propagate awareness regarding environmental sustainability. Furthermore, efforts to advocate for and participate in networked initiatives such as the Italian Network of Sentinel Doctors for the environment.
1. xv report Health search https://report.healthsearch.it/
2. Zhao B. et al. Air quality and health cobenefits of different deep decarbonization Pathways in California. Environ Sci Technol. 2019;53:7163-7171.
3. Lambe B et al. A qualitative study of lifestyle counselling in general practice in Ireland. Fam Pract. 2010;27:219-23.
4. Romanello M. et al. The 2022 report of the Lancet Countdown on health and climate change: health at the mercy of fossil fuels. Lancet. 2022; 400: 1619–54.
5. Laine GE et al. Co-benefits from sustainable dietary shifts for population and environmental health: an assessment from a large European cohort study. Lancet Planet Health. 2021; 5: e786–96.
6. Gibbs J, et al. Plant-based dietary patterns for human and planetary health. Nutrients. 2022;14:1614.
7. Nguyen PY et al. Effect of nature prescriptions on cardiometabolic and mental health, and physical activity: a systematic review. Lancet Planet Health. 2023; 7: e313–28.
8. Italian Ministry of Health - National Prevention Plan 2020-2025 - Predefined Program PP2 "Active Communities" https://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_notizie_5029_0_file.pdf
9. Italian network of sentinel doctors for the environment - RIMSA https://www.isde.it/rimsa-2/
Attention. Please note that these items are provided only for information and are not intended as a substitute for consultation with a clinician. Patients with any specific questions about the items on this list or their individual situation should consult their clinician.